Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Scouting

I was never a Brownie or Camp Fire Girl so it's a little ironic to me that scouting became such a big part of our lives for almost 10 years. Maybe I wanted to be a scout at some point but I don't really remember. I do remember that when my son was in school and a flyer came home about Tiger Cubs, I thought it would be a great thing for him to try!

At the time, my first husband was still working the night shift and so I would take our son to the meetings. I was so embarrassed that first night! I was the only mom there and we were to make bows and arrows. I struggled to make a notch in the bow for the string and struggled to bend it, feeling the wood jump out of my hands every time. Finally one of the dads moved over to help me, reassuring me I was not a complete fool. My son, luckily, didn't seem to notice the difference.

The following year, Rich switched to the day shift and since he enjoyed the activities the boys did, he took over and went to the meetings while I focused on the girls.



My son just bridged from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts. Right behind him is my older daughter's best friend Emma and my youngest, Kristin


Both daughters started out as Daisy scouts and I quickly became involved in assisting their troops. I actually led my older daughter's troop for a few months but it became too difficult and so I stepped back and just assisted instead.

I am so glad my kids were involved in scouting. They got to do lots of fun activities and went camping and on trips to places like Washington D.C. I'm sorry that we fell away from it. It was lovely while it lasted!



My daughter Kristin becomes a Daisy Scout




This is my older daughter Heidi. There was a tremendous jamboree of Girl Scouts in Washington DC. We gathered on the grounds around the Washington Mounument and girls exchanged pins and badges with each other. We enjoyed meeting troops from around the country and of all age groups, too!



One of the nicest benefits of scouting was the socialization and friendships that developed amongst the kids. I miss scouting.

No comments:

A Slice of Life

About Me

My photo
happily remarried widow with 3 kids from my first marriage, 2 from my new marriage, 8 grandchildren, and 2 great grandchildren. I have been blessed to have had 2 great loves in my life. I have had another blessing too: I had bariatric surgery (a duodenal switch) and that has saved my life!