Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A Slice of Life: My Favorite Aunt


I really think the song "Sisters" (from the movie White Christmas) was written with my mother and my aunt in mind. My mom and aunt are the youngest in a family of six children; both are deaf and both went to the same school in New York City. In this picture, my aunt is standing, looking down lovingly at my mother. They've always been really close.


The school they went to was Lexington School for the Deaf and in those days (the 1930s), the educational philosophy there was oralism (not signing). Not only was signing forbidden, the kids were taught that there was something nasty about it and so my mother and aunt were ashamed about using their hands to communicate. Isn't that sad?

The repressive attitude stayed with my aunt throughout her life. Out in public, her signs were always small and close to her body. She seemed very shy and inhibited but a great spark of humor burned within her.

Some other impressions of my aunt: she loves me a lot, is over protective and bossy (but it's out of love), and she loves to tease and have fun. She wouldn't let me cross the road with my 5year old cousin (I was 15) to buy a sand bucket but she loved playing practical jokes on everyone.

Here is a typical joke of hers: dropping ice down your back. The victim this time is my uncle.

When my brother was 25, he was singing "Happy Birthday to me" as the rest of us serenaded him.

My aunt decided to surprise him just after he blew out the candles.

Just check out the look on her face! Is that someone who enjoys life or what?

For whatever reason, my aunt took a special shine to me. Maybe it's because I am my mother's daughter. She always wanted me to come and stay over with her, my uncle and my cousins. When I was younger, I had a severe case of separation anxiety and so I was always reluctant. One time I finally agreed and she was so excited. She always made a special effort to talk with me...and this was when I didn't know any sign language at all. That's a long story best saved for later.

Once I did learn how to sign, my aunt and I would spend hours just chatting. Now she lives in Georgia-at least part of the year-with the 5 year old who grew up and became a wife and mother herself.

After my uncle died, a lot of the spark went out of my aunt I'm sorry to say. She still has a good sense of humor but it's just not the same. Still, I have very happy memories.

1 comment:

Lifeless in Ohio said...

What a very special and loving aunt you have. I do believe, next to being a grandmother, being an aunt is a very big responsibility because you are in the position to really affect someone's life. Very nice post. Thank You!

A Slice of Life

About Me

My photo
happily remarried widow with 3 kids from my first marriage, 2 from my new marriage, 8 grandchildren, and 2 great grandchildren. I have been blessed to have had 2 great loves in my life. I have had another blessing too: I had bariatric surgery (a duodenal switch) and that has saved my life!