Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A Slice Of Life: Billy




Soon my son Bill will be 21 years old and yet I remember his birth as if it was just the other day. One thing I remember clearly is the baby pool taking place at work. My first husband, Rich, and I worked for the same market research company up until about 2 weeks before I was due. My due date was May 1, 1987, but people were guessing as early as April 1 and as late as Mother's Day.

Rich was one of the latter and I was horrified. "I'm ready NOW," I kept saying to him. "How could you have picked that day?"

He shrugged. "I just have a feeling," he said.

May 1st came and went and I was disappointed but not surprised. First babies are always late; however, I was more and more uncomfortable as each day passed. My midwife, Ellen, advised me to keep walking.

On May 8, a Friday, I set out to walk, lost my balance and fell hard on my hands and knees--right in front of the mailman, who totally freaked out. He helped me back to my apartment where Rich took over and cared for my badly skinned knees. Bandaged and wearing a new set of maternity jeans, I set out again. A block down, I ran into the same mailman.

"What are you doing?" he cried. "You're going to give me a heart attack!"

"I'm having this baby," I told him. "If I don't have this baby by Sunday, on Monday I have to be induced." Oh, horrors!

The following afternoon, May 9th, my water broke while Rich was at work. I was totally unhappy about that because I'd learned in childbirth class what that meant: go to the hospital. I didn't want to ... yet. I wanted the contractions to start. I called Rich and Ellen. Ellen said I could stay home only until 7 p.m. and then I had to get to the hospital. Meanwhile, I walked in circles.

My contractions still hadn't started by the time we got to the hospital. Ellen agreed to let me walk around the floor another 2 hours but then she had to follow the rules and have them start a pit drip (induction of labor). Oh, how I dreaded that...I'd learned that the contractions would come hard and fast!

Unfortunately, by 9 my contractions were still mild and I'd dilated only to 3 cm and so they would have to induce me. Yes, the contractions were hard to manage and very painful but I have to say I had the best coach in the world. I would not have been able to endure it without an epidural were it not for Rich's steadfast support. Every time I'd start to lose control, he'd say "Look at me, look at me" and then he'd begin breathing. I focused on him and breathed along with him.

Some funny things I remember from that night:

When I had to bend my knees to start pushing, the nurse took one look at my knees and freaked. "What happened to you?" she wanted to know. She wanted to redress the scrapes. I kept telling them I was fine and leave me alone.

When I got to the transitional stage, I kept falling asleep between contractions. It was so weird.

Another woman was admitted to the hospital soon after I was and we both had the same doctor. Actually, Ellen was in attendance but since she hadn't been credentialled at that hospital yet she wasn't allowed to "catch" the baby. For some reason, they put this lady way down at the end of the hall. We both began pushing at the same time and I could hear my chubby doctor running from one end of the hall to the other.

"Who's going to go first?" the nurse asked him.

Already I'd been pushing almost 2 hours and Billy was just beginning to crown.

"This one," the doctor decided. He ran into the room and began pushing on my abdomen.

I had enough presence of mind to be totally surprised and annoyed. I didn't complain, though, because Ellen had already saved me from a C-section. The doctor wanted to do one because he felt I wasn't progressing fast enough.

Doctors.

So Billy was born at 4:23 and the doctor ran down the hall to the other lady. Her baby was born less than 5 minutes later.

It was Mother's Day.

Rich won the pot and I got a rose at each and every meal. Best of all, we had a brand new, perfect little boy.

"Billy Bear," I whispered to him when I finally got to hold him.

He is the best Mother's Day present I will ever get.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely story. It is funny, but I remember falling asleep between contractions. How could we have done that? Another part of the miracle of childbirth I guess. Thank you so much for writing another story - two in one week - I am impressed!

A Slice of Life

About Me

My photo
happily remarried widow with 3 kids from my first marriage, 2 from my new marriage, 8 grandchildren, and 2 great grandchildren. I have been blessed to have had 2 great loves in my life. I have had another blessing too: I had bariatric surgery (a duodenal switch) and that has saved my life!